JGold

JGold

Shantaram

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts "A Literary Masterpiece"- Daily Telegraph claims the spine of my book. Okay, "Masterpiece"? Aside from it's hefty 933 page count that clain is probably stretching it a bit. And "Literary"? I don't know if a book with this much eye-gouging can be considered truly literary. But, in truth this book was genuinely riveting and touching. Whether it is showing us the rural India of Prabaker's village, or Bombay slum-life, or mafia stories worthy of Scorsese- Roberts' simpler storytelling really shines.It was only when Roberts felt had to live up to this "masterpiece" he's creating- with long passages out the heart and the soul and general pseudo-philosophy- that the story lagged.Don't get me wrong, I love a good sappy soul searching story rife with allegories and allusions (maybe a little alliteration and assonance as well?!) as much as anyone else, but apparently no one told Roberts that he's actually not as good at this philosophizing as he thinks he is.Roberts hits his stride when he's giving simple and eloquent characterizations of people he loves, befitting the simple and honest people he describes.So overall this book is not going up there with War and Peace anytime soon, but probably the fact that I slogged through nearly 1,000 pages should probably speak for itself. It might not be "Great" but it is good.