JGold

JGold

The Help

The Help - Kathryn Stockett Special thanks goes to my friend Leah for recommending that I read this book and even bigger thanks to Emma Stone for playing the lead in the film version that's coming out soon which spurred me to *actually* read the damn thing .To understand this you'll have to know that Emma Stone makes me want to see the movie, and if I'm going to see the movie I have to read the book first (for the most part at least- I'm not reading "The Bourne Identity" any time soon)Anyways "The Help" ended up being very good- kinda "Mean Girls" mixed with "The Long Walk Home", with maybe a little "Corrina, Corrina" added in (and if you think that's too many Whoopi Goldbergs playing nannies in the 60's then you obviously weren't around in the 90's)Point being, it's partly a story about bitchy white girls being mean to nicer white girls- which we love. Partly a story about growing up moving on and heading out to the big city (NYC!). And partly a story about women finding their voices and realizing their strength- and in such a way where they really have to be daring and put themselves on the line. You Go Girls!